Friday, August 24, 2012

Freddie Hawkins


Freddie Hawkins gave me my first job. Actually, that’s not true. My first job was working in my parents’ restaurant. But they’re family so they had to give me a job. Or maybe I had to work for them. Either way, one night when I was 17, I was told to be home because we were hosting a night for the camp my little brother attended. Apparently the owners of Vista Camps traveled around in the off-season hosting camp video nights to attract new campers and counselors. The camp I had gone to when I was younger had closed. Maybe because they didn’t do these traveling camp video nights? Anyway, when my mom introduced me to Freddie, his second sentence was about me coming to work for them that summer. From what I learned about Freddie in the following years, I now realize his giving me a job was probably some conspiracy between him and my mom. Another thing I learned about Freddie is that he considered everyone who walked into Vista Camps a family member. So really, my work with Vista turned out to be not a job at all, but time spent with a whole new family.

My first summer, I was hired as the snack girl and was just a year older than some of the campers. I also met my best friend, Dana. Seven summers later I was the Program Director for Sierra Vista. But despite my responsibilities, Freddie continued to call Dana and I into his office whenever there was evidence of camp hijinks. I’ll admit now that we were usually guilty.

Through all the practical jokes and bending of camp rules, in seven summers I met some of the most unique people (including a new side of my own brother that he reserved for camp). Something about driving through the gates of Vista allowed people to shed the insecurities…kids came out of their shells, counselors were the model of silliness, it was a place to truly be your comfortable self. That feeling was created by Freddie. Every summer there are articles in prominent publications about the value of the summer camp experience. It fosters independence, builds character, hones values while teaching new skills. Yada yada yada. The truth is, you spend the summer singing at the top of your lungs in the dining hall, competing in ruthless tribal games, having shaving cream fights, wrestling a greased watermelon in the lake, enduring strange initiation rituals, all in 100 degree Texas sun. The seriousness with which Freddie created the fun was what made it perfect.

Amidst all the fun, when I got hit in the head with the waterskiing rope handle and had to get a few stitches, it was Freddie who washed the blood out of my hair and drove me to the doctor in town. When I encountered challenges as the program director, it was Freddie who mentored me through my first leadership role. He was the camp dad to so many and I am blessed to be among them.

Freddie Hawkins died just a few days before camp ended this summer. There is a celebration of his life at Vista tomorrow. I'm sad to be so far away, to not be able to say goodbye in person among camp friends. But a few mornings ago in a walk through Prospect Park with my three-month-old son, I heard cicadas. The noise brought a flood of camp memories that include that same summer hum of cicadas. Even before I was pregnant, I knew I wanted to send my kids to Vista. TJ will go there someday and while I’m sad he will never meet Freddie, I’m grateful that such a magical place exists for him and future family generations. Thank you, Freddie. Goodbye.



1 comment: