Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Who likes cheese?

In President Bartlet’s White House they had an annual “Big Block of Cheese Day.” It was a day when the staff granted face time to constituents who might not ordinarily have access to them in order to get ideas for legislation. Leo McGarry liked to tell the legend of President Andrew Jackson, who originated Big Block of Cheese Day when he put a 1400 pound block of cheese in the White House foyer and invited the people to come speak with him in person while they shared the cheese. He would decide what to do based on these discussions. Leo McGarry’s staff mocked Big Block of Cheese Day saying that everyone who came in was cuckoo. But in perfect Sorkin story arcs, they were always proven wrong. The people do have good ideas.

Sometimes I wish I could hold a Big Block of Cheese Day for my own life. If I served people gouda, would they give me suggestions on my daily choices? I need some out of the box ideas.  But I also need facts and figures. I need someone to come in with charts, graphs and power point presentations to give statistics on what results certain decisions would have. I wouldn’t necessarily act on everything, but I’m willing to bet that one amazing idea would walk through the door.  And I would reward that idea with a serious hunk of the creamiest brie money can buy.


“Never take counsel of your fears.”
- Andrew Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment